Publications | Downloads
The main source document for this research is Andy Swan's (2003) PhD
- Swan, A.D., 2003, A decision-support system for the design of retrofit
sustainable urban drainage systems (SUDS), PhD thesis, The University
of Sheffield [abstract].
Two recent research reports:
Selected aspects of the work have also been covered in the following
- Swan, A.D., Stovin, V.R., Saul, A.J. and Walker, N., 2001,
Modelling SUDS with deterministic urban drainage models, Proceedings
of the First National Conference on Sustainable Drainage, 18-19
June 2001, Coventry University, 202-213.
- Swan, A.D. and Stovin, V.R., 2002, A decision-support framework
for the design of retrofit SUDS. Proceedings of the International
Conference on Sewer Operation and Maintenance (SOM2002), University
of Bradford, 26-28 November.
- Stovin, V.R. and Swan, A.D., 2003, Application of a retrofit
SUDS decision-support framework to a UK catchment, Second
National Conference on Sustainable Drainage, 23-24 June 2003, Coventry,
- Swan, A.D., Moore, S.L., and Stovin, V.R., 2006, The use of
retrofit SUDS to achieve urban water quality improvement, 7th
International Conference on Urban Drainage Modelling and the 4th International
Conference on Water Sensitive Urban Design, 4-6 April 2006, Melbourne,
Australia, pp. 381-388 . ISBN 0-646-45903-1.
- Stovin V.R. and Swan A.D., 2007, Retrofit SUDS – Cost
estimates and decision-support tools. Proceedings of the
Institution of Civil Engineers, Water Management, 160 (4), December,
pp 207-214. ISSN 1741-7589. DOI 10.1680/wama.2007.160.4.207
- Moore SL, Stovin VR and Ashley RM, 2007, Quantifying the Water
Quality Benefits Associated with retrofit Sustainable Drainage Systems
(SUDS) using MUSIC. In Water Management Challenges in Global
Change (CCWI2007 and SUWM2007), De Montfort University, Leicester,
UK, September, pp 527-534. ISBN 978-0-415-45415-5.
- Stovin, VR, Moore, SL, Doncaster, SH and Morrow, B., 2008, Delivering
Integrated Urban Drainage – current obstacles and a proposed SUDS
planning support tool, Floodrisk 2008, 30 Sept - 2
Oct, Oxford, UK.
- Moore, S.L., Hathway, E.A., Fahmy, M. and Stovin, V.R., 2011, Beyond
Drainage: the role of SUDS in the Mitigation of Urban Heat Island Effects,
Cities of the Future, Stockholm, May 2011.
- Moore, S.L., Stovin, V.R., Wall, M. and Ashley, R.M., 2012,
A GIS-based methodology for selecting stormwater disconnection opportunities,
Water Science and Technology, 66.2, 275-283. DOI: 10.2166/wst.2012.172
- Digman, C., Ashley, R., Balmforth, D., Balmforth, D., Stovin V., Glerum,
J. , 2012, Retrofitting to manage surface water (CIRIA C713),
- Stovin, V.R., Moore, S.L., Wall, M., and Ashley, R.M., 2013, The
potential to retrofit sustainable drainage systems to address combined
sewer overflow discharges in the Thames Tideway catchment,
Water and Environment Journal, Vol. 27, Issue 2, 216-228. DOI:
- Badger, M., Stovin, V., Shucksmith, J., McCreath, K., Winter, D. and
Brookes, A., 2014, Unanswered questions when optimising retrofit
SuDS, 13th Int. Conf. on Urban Drainage (ICUD), Kuching,
Sarawak, Malaysia, 7-12 Sept 2014.
- Balhatchet, T., Stovin, V. and Woolass, S., 2014, The effects
of allocation strategies in multi-nodal large scale rainwater harvesting
systems, 13th Int. Conf. on Urban Drainage (ICUD),
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, 7-12 Sept 2014.
The following may also be of interest:
- Singh, R., Stovin, V., Jefferies, C., Morrison, G. and Gillon, S.,
2005, Developing a planning and design framework for retrofit
SUDS, 10 International Conference on Urban Drainage,
Copenhagen, Denmark, August 21-26, 2005.
- Stovin, V.R., Jorgensen, A., and Clayden, A., 2008, Street
trees and stormwater management, Arboricultural Journal.
Vol. 30, No. 4, 297-310, ISSN 0307-1375.
- Stovin, V, 2009, The use of green roofs to manage urban stormwater,
Water and Environment Journal. Published Online: May 12 2009,
- Kasmin, H, Stovin, V and Hathway, A, 2009, Towards a generic
rainfall-runoff model for green roofs, 8th Int. Conf. On
Urban Drainage Modelling, 7-11 Sept, Tokyo, Japan.
- Guymer, I, Stovin, V, Gaskell, P, Maltby, L, and Pearson, J, 2010,
Predicting the deposition of highway-derived sediments in a
receiving river reach, 17th IAHR-ADP Congress 2010,
Aukland, New Zealand, 21-24 Feb, 2010.
- Stovin, V, Guymer, I, Gaskell, P and Maltby, L, 2010, Evaluation
of a highway runoff TSS models against new UK data, 17th
IAHR-ADP Congress 2010, Aukland, New Zealand, 21-24 Feb, 2010.
The decision-support flowcharts that accompany the Swan 2003 methodology
can be downloaded here: